Shurikens literally are “hand released blades” and historically there have been two types of shurikens – the bo shuriken which are thin narrow blades and the hira shuriken which are plates having anywhere between 2 to 8 spikes radiating out of the center.
This wheel blade design of mine has 8 pointed spikes – a happo shuriken. I folded it using 4 inch square sheets of paper which are duo colored. This has given it a nice color combination within the folds.
The assembly is quick and easy – each unit has to be placed within the outer flaps of the next unit and so on. There is no need for glue to hold this model together, unless you prefer to hang it, then glue would make it more sturdy.
The idea behind this design is Paolo Bascetta’s ring which, I find, has a brilliant, easy assembly and I wanted to replicate this process albeit with differently folded units.
The first time I had come up with the folding sequence for this dodecagram, a couple of months ago, I had used regular 3 inch post it notes to fold it. However, when I submitted the diagrams for publishing, there were assembly problems with the basic model. I suspect it had to do with the glue backed post it notes I used which inadvertently held the model together. So, I tweaked the assembly sequence a bit to incorporate a little fold and the effect was a similar nice star like design but this time, with a circular center. I was quite pleased with the outcome and thankful that I didn’t have to change the entire folding sequence.
This is a 12 pointed star or a dodecagram, using 12 separate units to form. I used duo patterned paper for this design, instead of the usual post it notes, and the color change really pops with this model. 12 square sheets of paper are needed and the paper you use can be almost any kind of paper and preferably duo colored, to make use of the color change in this design. One idea is to use pretty patterned wrapping paper if you do not find patterned duo colored origami paper near you. Since the folds are simple and not layered, it will still fold well.
The paper I have used to fold this model is from a Japanese Washi Paper pack, which has floral patterned square sheets measuring 4 inches in size. I named this design “Charlotte’s Star” as I am currently living in Charlotte, North Carolina and wanted to remember my time spent here.
Charlotte’s Star Variation
I have been talking to Jane Marin from OrigamiUSA to publish the diagrams for this model and we have been going back and forth on the assembly part of this star. The assembly of my original design wasn’t quite sturdy and did make for very delicate handling. I know a little glue would solve the problem but I do prefer to not make use of glue in my designs.
I tweaked the folding sequence for the unit to incorporate a tighter hold to interlock the units. The ends of the units themselves are interlaced to form a secondary design on the star. This version does hold better than my original and I have used 4″ square sheet of duo colored paper to fold the units.
I had taken a rather long break from folding origami and I hope to be back more regularly this year. We had a baby girl in September 2019 and my husband and I are absolutely thrilled. As you can imagine, with a baby, paper folding was on the back burner for a bit.
This model – Zoe’s Swirl – is one I have designed myself and named after my daughter. I came up with this design playing around with post it notes, which has now become a habit of mine in my very less spare time that I have.
It’s folded from 8 sheets of square paper and I have used Japanese Washi Paper which you can find on Amazon. This paper is plain on one side and printed on the other which makes a nice contrast when folding this design. The size of each of the sheets is 4 inches and completed model is around 5 inches in diameter. Since the folding sequence involves a sink, I have marked it as intermediate. However, the rest of the folding steps are relatively easy.
It’s back to folding for me after another hiatus and this time I started off with a design of my own. The model is slightly 3D which I quite like and is folded out of 8 sheets of paper.
For this particular design, I wanted to use duo-colored paper since I wanted both tones to show up on the front of the design. Each of the units is quite easy to fold and I think the only ‘complicated’ fold in this whole sequence is the division into 3 parts in the beginning of the sequence.I used traditional Kami paper measuring 3 inches in size which are white in color on one side (single-side colored).
This is my first rendition of this design and I am planning on refolding it with a better color combination, soon so as to bring out the color-blocking / dual tones strongly.
The geometric star shape you see in the center came about quite by accident. I noticed this design appearing once I started putting this model together. Hence the name ‘Najma’ which roughly translates into ‘Star’ in Arabic.
I have been fiddling around with this design for quite a number of days, trying various folds in order to take advantage of duo colored paper and bring out a geometric design while I was at it. I came up with this design in the end and I am quite happy with the outcome.
This design of mine is folded using the traditional waterbomb base and has a pretty simple folding sequence. Since I used single side colored kami paper which is most commonly found, the color change at the center of each unit came about quite easily. I used 8 square sheets of single side colored kami paper measuring 3 inches each. The overall size of the completed model is approximately 4.5 inches in diameter.