Paper flowers come in really handy as quick, easy to make decorations for any occasion. The materials you need to make these pretty designs are usually found in all homes. I made these tissue paper flowers for my little one’s first birthday, as a quick design element in her photo gallery backdrop.
In the 1st birthday backdrop pic above, you will notice that the flowers at the top are also made out of tissue paper. I followed the same steps to fold these flowers, too. The difference being the size of the paper:
- For the center most flower, I used 10 sheets measuring 20 inches.
- For the next biggest size, I used 6 square sheets measuring 12 inches,
- For the in between sized flowers, I used 5 sheets measuring 8 inches and lastly
- Used 4 sheets measuring 5 inches for the the smallest flowers.
I wanted something which screamed out ‘1’ for her special day, and I wanted it to be a very DIY, eco friendly design, too. I found a floral tissue paper numeral idea along with a very detailed tutorial on making the paper flowers on The Craft Patch.
To make my paper flower number, I needed to have a firm base to attach the flowers and then the multiple flowers themselves. For the base i.e. the number 1 (since it was my little one’s first birthday), I used pieces of a cardboard box glued together to form the digit. I then covered this cardboard numeral in yellow tissue paper to match the theme, before I glued the finished flowers on it.
How to make the template for number ‘1’:
You will need: Amazon Packaging box Scissors Pen Ruler / Measuring tape Glue
- Take a piece of cardboard – I used Amazon packaging for this purpose. Draw the number ‘1’ and then cut this out.
- OR you can also cut the flaps of the box, and then stick them to form a ‘1’ shape (you need 3 flaps of a rectangular box). My numeral was approx 14 inches tall and 5 inches in width.
- Next, cover this base with a sheet of tissue paper to match your tissue flowers. This will enhance the look of your floral numeral.
- Start placing the tissue flowers on the numeral base to form the digit ‘1’. (The image shown in the series below if of before I covered the base in yellow tissue paper)
*For other numbers, draw the outline on cardboard or thick paper and then cut out to form the base.
How to make the tissue paper flowers:
You will need: A pack of yellow tissue paper (10 sheets) Scissors Glue thread (preferably yellow) Ruler / Measuring Tape Pen (This will allow you to make 6 flowers of 8" diameter)
- Measure & cut 8 inch squares – 30 in all – of the yellow tissue paper. *to make 6 flowers, use 30 square sheets of tissue paper.
- Take 5 sheets and then accordion fold them to a 1 inch width as shown below.
- Cut and shape the ends of the accordion folded set of sheets as shown.
- Use a small piece of thread and tie the center of the sheets. Spread the right side of the accordion as seen in the image below.
- Now, carefully start separating the layers, starting from the top and pull towards to the center. There will be 4 layers on each side. Repeat on the left side.
- Gently fluff out and form the flower.